Apple released new iPhone X iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max
The iPhone 9 is expected to be the entry-level model to the 2018 lineup with a fullscreen 6.1-inch LCD display and Apple’s FaceID sitting on a notch on top.
The new iPhone XS has a new A12 Bionic chip with 6.9 billion transistors and an updated neural engine that helps with facial recognition and machine learning.
Dual SIM Dual Standby (e-SIM)
For the first time ever, Apple has announced iPhones with Dual SIM functionality. The new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max have this built-in, but in most places it won't necessarily be what you might expect.
See, the iPhones come with just one physical SIM slot as usual. It's just that this is augmented with an eSIM. So if at least one of the carriers you intend to use supports the eSIM standard, then you can take advantage of the Dual SIM function. Otherwise, you're out of luck.
The good news is that more and more carriers should start waking up to the eSIM reality. The bad news is that, at the moment, the list is very short: only 14 networks across 10 countries support this standard, along with worldwide service providers GigSky and Truphone.
Note that to use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. If a CDMA-based carrier (such as Verizon or Sprint in the US) provides your first SIM, then your second SIM will not support CDMA.
To use the eSIM you will activate your cellular plan with a QR code provided by your carrier. You can store more than one eSIM in your device, but can only use one at a time.
If you buy an iPhone XS Max in China, Hong Kong, or Macau, none of the above applies. Over there Apple will provide a special SKU of its biggest handset ever, one which comes with a proper Dual SIM setup. As you can see from the image above, the two cards will basically sit on top of each other in the slot.
Both systems use Dual SIM Dual Standby, which lets you make and receive calls on both lines. Note though that if one number is on a call, incoming calls on the other number will go to voicemail. Also, if you are active on a voice number that isn't your designated data number, data will not work while your are on the call.
As with other Dual SIM solutions on the market, Apple lets you label each SIM card, as well as choose a default line. The secondary line can be used for data only - a handy option if you're traveling and pick up a local SIM just for that purpose.
For each contact you call the iPhone will choose the same number you used last time. If you haven't called before, then your default number will be used. Yet if you want you can specify which subscription to use for a specific contact.
Specifications of Apple iPhone XS
GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE
- 2G bands: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 CDMA 800 / 1900
- 3G bands: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100 CDMA2000 1xEV-DO
- 4G bands: LTE band 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 14(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 29(700), 30(2300), 32(1500), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46, 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE-A (4CA) Cat16 1024/150 Mbps, EV-DO Rev.A 3.1 Mbps
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- Dimensions: 143.6 x 70.9 x 7.7 mm (5.65 x 2.79 x 0.30 in)
- Weight: 177 g (6.24 oz)
- Build: Front/back glass, stainless steel frame
- SIM: Nano-SIM and e-SIM
- IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 2m for 30 mins)
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size 5.8 inches, 84.4 cm2 (~82.9% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution 1125 x 2436 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~458 ppi density)
- Multitouch Yes
- Protection Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating
- - Dolby Vision/HDR10 compliant
- - Wide color gamut display
- - 3D Touch display
- - True-tone display
- - 120 Hz touch-sensing
- iOS 12
- Chipset Apple A12 Bionic
- CPU Hexa-core
- GPU Apple GPU (4-core graphics)
- Card slot No
- Internal 64/256/512 GB, 4 GB RAM
- Dual 12 MP, f/1.8, 28mm, 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF
- 12 MP, f/2.4, 52mm, 1.0µm, OIS, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
- Features Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)
- Video 2160p@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, stereo sound rec.
- Single 7 MP, f/2.2, 32mm
- Features HDR
- Video 1080p@60fps
- Alert types Vibration, proprietary ringtones
- Loudspeaker Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm jack No
- Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC Yes
- Radio No
- USB 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- Sensors Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Messaging iMessage, SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
- Browser HTML5 (Safari)
- Fast battery charging: 50% in 30 min
- Qi wireless charging
- Siri natural language commands and dictation
- iCloud cloud service
- MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player
- MP4/H.265 player
- Audio/video/photo editor
- Document editor
- Non-removable Li-Ion battery
- Space Gray, Silver, Gold